Ski Guide Apprenticeship
To be allocated a place on a Ski Guide Level 2 Course, you must have met the following criteria:
- Have Assistant Ski Guide status.
- Achieved Avalanche Risk Management Level 6 (or equivalent)
- At least two seasons of ski guiding work since Assistant Ski Guide status has been granted, and no more than 5 years elapsed since the Level 1 course.
- Minimum 30 quality supervised days ski guiding work including a diverse range of work and geographical areas including glaciated terrain.
At least 7 of the quality supervised days must have been under the direct supervision of an NZMGA Ski Guide or IFMGA Guide according to NZMGA Professional, Terrain and Supervision Guidelines. Three of these days must be ski touring under direct supervision.
Minimum 10 of the quality supervised days of winter ski guiding work must have taken place in New Zealand.
- A written record or logbook must be presented on application as proof that experience and supervision requirements have been met. This logbook should be presented as an editable spreadsheet alongside all supervision records.
- Written recommendation from two NZMGA Guides who have supervised the Candidate in the previous 12 months, one of which must be an IFMGA Guide.
Refer to the NZMGA Training and Certification Programme for all details and final criteria.