Logged Experience - Alpine Trekking
Entry onto the Alpine Trekking Guide Level 1 Course, requires:
- A minimum of 30 logged days over 3 years in summer and winter of alpine/transalpine experience:
- To include a minimum of 3 separate geographical mountain regions;
- To demonstrate depth of experience, i.e. valley to summit, multiple pass crossings, river crossing and off track experience;
- Experience outside of New Zealand will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
- Mountaineering routes to include:
- At least two ascents of Aoraki Mount Cook seriousness grade III routes or above;
- At least 4 routes or ascents of Aoraki Mount Cook seriousness grade II routes or above;
- At least ten routes or ascents of Aoraki Mount Cook seriousness grade I .
- Other optional experience:
- SAR/Ski Patrol;
- NZMGA Hard Ice Guide qualification.
Persons with extensive industry experience are encouraged to submit applications requesting recognition of their prior experience to gain exemption from the Snow and Ice Guide Course and/or the Assistant Alpine Trekking Guide course. Full details of previous courses taken and industry experience should be sent to support the Application; and the exemption(s) applied for clearly stated.