Logged Experience - Alpine Trekking
Entry onto the Alpine Trekking Guide Level 1 Course, requires either:
- A minimum of 30 logged days over 3 years in summer and winter of alpine/transalpine experience.
Experience outside of New Zealand will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
- This must include:
- Minimum of 3 separate geographical mountain regions.
- At least 4 ascents of grade 2 (Logans) routes.
- Log must show depth of experience, i.e. valley to summit, trans-alpines (trips incorporating multiple pass crossings) river crossing and off track experience.
- NZMGA Hard Ice Guide qualification
- 4 Grade 2 climbs (preferably from 3 different regions)
Persons with extensive industry experience are encouraged to submit applications requesting recognition of their prior experience to gain exemption from the Snow and Ice Guide Course and/or the Assistant Alpine Trekking Guide course. Full details of previous courses taken and industry experience should be sent to support the Application; and the exemption(s) applied for clearly stated.